Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Farm in Razorback

Mama took me to a farm not too far from home. Just a little over an hour's drive. It's in a village called Razorback, in country New South Wales. I've seen old pictures of Razorback blanketed in snow...so perhaps we should have gone in winter.

We went to attend a wedding reception there. It was indeed an exhilarating day. The reception was done picnic style and guests were taken around the 100-ha property on a ute. I didn't pay much attention to the humans but was more interested in the animals there. 

Oh, there are the normal chooks and cows and lambs but what are these in cages? Oops...it's a cattery. Apparently, the farm is a ragdoll cat breeder. What's a ragdoll cat? It's a long-haired species that flops like a rag whenever it's held by humans. Really great actors!
Queen ragdoll with two frisky kittens ...she's very pretty, I think.

They seem so fluffy and playful. Each kitten, I was told, can fetch upwards of $650. Wow!
The farm also breeds horses. Some have been sold to as far as Dubai. Racing horses, I was told. Goodness...they seem like very strong animals. I was told there are alpacas too but I didn't see them near the farmhouse. And Mama didn't allow me to board the "tourist" ute.
Horses were prancing about too.
Then I was introduced to a pair of Manx cats. The farm used to breed Manx but as the pair grows older, they've stopped doing so. They don't seem to have any tail and move about in a funny gait. More like hopping rabbit-like. And they are so shy.

Then Mama dropped the bombshell. "Angelina, these are your grandparents," she said. I was loss for words and before I could say anything, they had disappeared. Hiding under the house.
My biological mother's parents....now retired after years of breeding. Any resemblance there?
I wish I had exchanged some words with them. Ask about my mother and all that. Maybe one day Mama will take me to the farm again. purrr....meow!

27 comments:

~CovertOperations78~ said...

You were reunited with your grandparents, Ange?!?! What an emotional meeting it must have been! I am sure your Nan and Pop must have felt so proud to see what a big, beautiful, kind, sweet kitty you've grown into, thanks to your Mama's love and care.

That looks like a nice farm. I like ragdoll cats. They are good-natured and like being held. But I like moggies and kucing kampung most of all.

Wan Sharif said...

Alahai.
Rindunya Angelina nah bersembang with her biological parent.. are you sure mama was not pulling your paw?

Cat-from-Sydney said...

CO78,
It was emotional. Hard to describe. Until today I don't know where my birth mummy is. Yeah...I love the farm too. Imagine if I had grown up there but then I wouldn't living with my Mama, isn't it? sigh.... purrr...meow!

psst I'm against breeding cats (or any animal) to be sold as pets...as long as there are so many strays out there.

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Ayoh Wang,
I trust my Mama implicitly. The owners of the farm says I have my gradmother's features although I have a long tail and of different "colour scheme". purrr....meow!

Cheqna said...

wow..meeting the grandparents for the first time? any tears dropped?

mmm...if mama had taken you during Syawal..you could have received some duit raya..hehehe

:-)

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Cheqna,
The owners of that farm are millionaires but am unsure if my grandparents are rich too. But they do look wel-fed too. purrr....meow!

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

How wonderful that you were able to see your Grandparents but I sure wish you had been able to speak to them. At least you saw them! Nice to know your roots!

I love Ragdoll kitties! My friend Kokoro Purrs has an adorable Ragdoll

What a gorgeous farm, I would have loved seeing the animals too!

Pi Bani said...

Betcha right now you're wishing Pingu and Ginger were in those cages huh?

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Caren,
I sure wish I could get to know them better...who knows if I may inherit the farm or something...har har har...anyway, the Manx in me must have diluted by my biological Dad's side of the family coz I have a long tail and I don't hop around. And totally different colouring. purrr....meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pi,
Yes. You thought right. I wish...oops...better be careful with what I wish for. purrr...meow!

lupie said...

Hahahaha - this is so funny! Even duit raya comes into the picture!

Anyway, Angeline (Yolie?) - we hope you will get to meet your grandparents again and catch up!!

Thanks for sharing with us your trip to this "semua pun ada" farm! :)

Monyet King said...

Plenty of animals, no monyets though., What a pity. The Aussies don't know what they are missing

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Lupie,
Hey...you're up and about! Yeah..I wish my Mama will take me there again. Perhaps to ride the ponies. purrr...meow!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Dear Monyet King,
Remember my entry about some miniature monyets stolen from a zoo? Yeah...we don't get them in the wild here. purrr....meow!

nurmisnan said...

salam CAT
ur story always make me laugh ^__^

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Nur,
I made you laugh? Err....I'm supposed to make you cry. har har har *evil laughs*

TK said...

I love to be at a farm! Those cats are so adorable including your grandparents. Happy for u that you got to meet your grandparents. They still look good afters years of breeding.. Berapa ekor dah cucu cicit dia ye..??

Cat-from-Sydney said...

TK Sensei,
Itulah...tak sempat nak tanya apa-apa, they all dah lari nyorok bawah rumah. Maybe I have thousands of uncles and aunties and siblings and cousins and second cousins and all sort of relatives all over the world. Who knows if even Brad is a blood relative. eeeuuwww.... purrr...meow!

Pat said...

Thank must've been some visit! I bet you're still thinking about your grandparents, and your mama, and what might have been.

I love that pix of the horse. What a magnificent creature, the horse!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Pat,
What might have been? What if I had been made a breeder too? eeeuwww! Tak rela!
Yeah...I love those horses too. But they stink like .......ooops...a lady shouldn't swear. purrr....meow!

Angie, Catladyland said...

What a wonderful day for you! How amazing to meet your family...you must have had so many feelings :)

The farm looks really cool!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Angie dear,
Yeah...I thought the farm was cool too. Imagine if I had live there too. Horse riding everyday? Woohoo!!!! purrr....meow!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous post! Sorry I missed this post. Have been busy the whole week with overseas visitors....

Take care and have a great weekend!

Salam

P.S. When I tried horse-riding a few times (in my younger days), the instructor said that I have very powerful lungs LOL!!!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Paula,
Since I'm small and may not have powerful lungs, does that mean I can't ride horses? purrr...meow!

ninotaziz said...

Come to The RSGC for monkeys. They are King on the course. With harem to boot!

Cat-from-Sydney said...

Aunty Ninot,
Has the King ever try to mengurat you? purrr...meow!

Maz said...

Beruntung Angelina masih ada atok dan nenek .... sekurang-kurangnya dah tahu serba sedikit akan asal-usul Angelina ....

I'm sure you're looking forward to your next visit to the farm ....